Marteney Love
Our life as a family of 5!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

6 weeks

Micah & Mason will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. They are both right at 7lbs now, Micah can roll over tummy to back ( he started at 4weeks and totally shocked us), and Mason is starting to make talking/cooing noises once in a while. The first few weeks were pretty smooth sailing. Other than having to wake them for feedings they slept most of the time. I did say though that I was not naive in thinking it would stay that way.
Once they hit their due date things changed a bit. They started to wake up more and my nice 3hr feeding schedule became every 2 hrs during the day. All of a sudden they both got really fussy with gassy tummies. I am trying hard to eliminate anything that could be the cause and slowly reintroducing them one at a time. I have cut out ALL dairy ( I had been doing cheese), beans, chocolate, eggs, soda, and formula. Even with no dairy we were still seeing a reaction to something which is why the list is so long. I wish they could just do an allegy test to make it easier. I am introducing dairy back in last since it takes so long to leave their systems. I want to know for sure what we are dealing with. Needless to say, chicken and PBJ have become staples for me. I can't wait for a huge slice of pizza, a nacho, and a big bowl of ice cream. It could be a year from now but it will be wonderful.
On top of gassy tummies, I have also had some major pain with nursing. When it is a HUGE part of your life it is a bit hard to ignore. I just suck it up and remember how much I love them and that IT IS WORTH IT! There are days when I wish I could just find a formula that worked for them and call it quits. It wouldn't matter what I ate and I woudn't be in pain. But then I look at their sweet faces and remember how much I really do love nursing and this is just a phase. We will get through it. I went through much worse with Madison.
On a slightly positive note they did sleep 6 hrs (11pm- 5am) for me Monday night. I woke up a new woman. I think it was God's break given to me to prepare me for the last 2 nights that were not so great. The one good thing out of late night feedings is getting to rock my sweet boys as they sleep. There is something so sweet about that time even if it is exhausting.

A good night for us is:
7:00-8:00 Nurse
8:00-8:30 Madison to bed
9:00-10:00 Nurse
10:00-11:00 Settle babies -lots of reinserting binkies.
2:00-3:00 One baby wakes. Change diaper, feed, swaddle, wake second baby and repeat.
5:00-6:00 Diapers, feed, swaddle- normally I bring them to my room for this feeding if Matt is getting ready for work. They eat and then tend to be fussy for the next few hours. Sometimes I can dose off and on in between settling them.
7:00/8:00 Madison wakes up

The last week I have had a few days that all 3 of them have been down for naps at the same time in their own rooms. Even though I am normally catching up on housework it is nice to have a break. I know this phase will get better, but right now it seems so hard. I get one baby content just for the second on to cry. Luckily they dont cry at te same time very often. It is just easier to stay home than try to go anywhere other than my parents. At least then I have extra hands to help. It will be nice once they can go longer between feeds to get out a bit more.
I am looking forward to them being a bit more interactive so Madison can actually play with them and they will enjoy their bouncy seats and toys. Overall they really are very good babies, it has just been a bit rougher the last 2 weeks. I just take it one day at a time. Honestly, it isnt even that I feel like it is more that I can handle. It is just tiring some days. Sorry for rant. I just needed a place to vent.

Well, nap time is coming to an end. I am now holding Micah typing one handed and Mason and Madison are stirring.
I really do feel so blessed to have three beautiful children, a wonderful husband, and great family and friends. God has been so good to us.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Rant away!! I can honestly say I know what you are going through, except for the having to eliminate everything from your diet part (we were lucky there.) I also must say I am envious of you. Kaden and Nolan who are 9 months old, still don't sleep through the night. I also don't venture out with all 3 of our kids, it's just too hard to get everyone out of the house (anything I need to do can wait!) But I agree, we are blessed with 3 healthy boys and wouldn't want it any other way.

Patti said...

You are my hero! It sounds like you have a really great attitude through it all and that makes you a wonderful mother and woman. Emersyn and I would love to come visit you sometime and let the girls play. We are free most Fridays, just let us know a good time for you!

Marilyn said...

After reading about your life right now it makes me feel like my baby's upcoming birth will be nothing! I hope the nursing & gassy tummies gets better quickly! You're a great momma!

Amy said...

Check Check and Check.... I could have wrote that same post. Well other than the 6 hour sleep, I'm jealous of that. I think my longest has been 3 hours so far. Oh how I am so looking forward to a little more routine.

The Bessman Family said...

Hang in there Melissa you're doing such a great job. I remember the "formula would be so much easier" phase and I, too endured mind numbing pain. The kind that makes you think you really are going to pass out. It's amazing to think of the things we do for our children. :) And I thought I would never get through it. But I did. And I now very much enoy the time I spend nursing my sweet baby girl. That's not to say I don't (just the slightest bit) look forward to weaning in 6 months... Life will get easier, I know you know that. I'll be praying for your strength and sanity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails